Friday, November 16, 2012

And then we went to Carlsbad

After driving ALL night, he sauntered into the lovely little town of Carlsbad, NM. I imagine the majority of people in Carlsbad work in oil, somehow and most do not live there. Perhaps you can imagine my surprise when I see this on the sign of our hotel. I am sad to say, we missed the Hip Hop in the lounge.

 After failing to check into our hotel, we headed out for breakfast. We found a lovely little diner, and sent Jeff in to check it out while I changed the kids out of their pajamas (in the parking lot.) Jeff came back to the car and announced, "We're leaving."

Now, I wish I had written down more, I can't even remember the name of the place. And when I looked on google, I couldn't find anything that even sounded right.

I think Jeff's reason for leaving went something like this, "There is no cash register, no menus. Just 6 guys, with guns, sitting at a table."

The diner down the street seemed to actually be serving food, so that worked out better for us anyway. Plus we got to meet the nice 'cowboy' (Zoe was calling anyone with a hat a cowboy. And that was everyone in the restaurant) who told the the furthest he had ever been was San Antone. I've never felt more like a city slicker.

Off to Carlsbad Caverns we went! If you're wondering, it's VERY cool.


We bought the ultra cool headlamp hats. 
If you look close, you can see Zoe has had yet another bloody nose.



Zoe made her  beloved bat mask. 
It was lost and never to be found mere hours after this photo.

I had to wear a mask too. Such a good look for me.

Here is Jeff completing Robert's Junior Ranger workbook for him. 

Here is Robert and I hiking out of the caverns. We decided waiting for the elevator was BORING. We could walk up that little ol' hill out. I slightly underestimated.


 Robert after the hike.

 There we are hiking back down the next day (much easier.) 
AND we're being filmed. Look for us on some nerdy documentary somewhere!


 Wearing the hats eating pizza for dinner...
 We wear the hats for breakfast.
 We eat pizza for breakfast too. Keep an eye on this pizza. 
I believe this is Friday morning. The pizza was still being eaten, in the car, on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment